Cars 2: Special Edition (Johnsonverse)
Cars 2: Special Edition is an upcoming 2021 American computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It will star the voices of Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Bonnie Hunt, Tony Shalhoub, Guido Quaroni, John Ratzenberger, Lloyd Sherr, Paul Dooley, Cheech Marin, Jennifer Lewis, Michael Wallis, Katherine Helmond (in a posthumous film credit due to Helmond's 2019 death), Eddie Izzard, and John Turturro, and will be released on November 12, 2021.
Set to be an edit of Cars 2 (2011), the film will focus entirely on Lightning McQueen and the racing plot, as executive producer Tim Johnson felt that the spy subplot did not fit a Cars movie; the spy subplot from the original movie will be reworked into a new Mater's Tall Tales episode, titled "Operation: Tow Truck", marking the first new Cars Toon episode since 2014, though it will be a 22-minute-long special on WBC instead of a short.
The movie is confirmed to focus solely on the racing plot; the World Grand Prix races in Paris and Germany will be reinstated. It also focuses on how Doc's death has affected Lightning, with Tim explaining that it would segue into Cars 3. Some characters introduced in 3, such as Cal Weathers and Bobby Swift, will be in this version; Tim has stated that he wants to "unite the three movies". Other characters from the first movie but are absent here will also return such as The King, Bob Cutlass, and Chick Hicks.
Voice cast (tentative)
- Owen Wilson as Lightning McQueen
- Larry the Cable Guy as Tow Mater
- Bonnie Hunt as Sally
- Tony Shalhoub as Luigi
- Guido Quaroni as Guido
- John Ratzenberger as Mack
- Lloyd Sherr as Filmore
- Paul Dooley as Sarge
- Cheech Marin as Ramone
- Jenifer Lewis as Flo
- Michael Wallis as Sheriff
- Katherine Helmond as Lizzie
- Eddie Izzard as Sir Miles Axelrod
- John Turturro as Francesco Bernoulli
- Jeff Gordon as Jeff Gorvette
- Lewis Hamilton as Lewis Hamilton
- Sebastian Vettel as Sebastian "Max" Schnell
- Romain Grosjean as Raoul Ça Roule
- Dario Franchitti as Nigel Gearsley
- Antonio Albacete as Miguel Camino
- Jossara Jinaro as Carla Veloso
- Takuma Sato as Shu Todoroki
- Tim Johnson as Rip Clutchgoneski
- Mark Winterbottom as Frosty
- Fernando Alonso as Fernando Alonso
- Vitaly Petrov as Vitaly Petrov
- Jan Nilsson as Flash
- Randall Park as Long Ge
- Memo Rojas Jr. as Memo Rojas Jr.
- Tony Stewart as Smoke
- Juan Pablo Montoya as Juan Pablo
- Franco Nero as Uncle Topolino
- Vanessa Redgrave as Mama Topolino
- Patrick Walker as Mel Dorado
- Ken Squier as Ken Studebaker
- Brett Musberger as Brett Mustangberger
- Darrell Waltrip as Darrell Cartrip
- David Hobbs as David Hobbscap
- Bob Costas as Bob Cutlass
- Mike Joy as Mike Joyride
- Kerry Washington as Natalie Certain
- Richard Petty as The King
- Kyle Petty as Cal Weathers
- Teddy Spencer as Bobby Swift
- Humpy Wheeler as Tex Dinoco
- Michael Keaton as Chick Hicks
- Paul Newman as Doc Hudson (archive recordings)
In addition, Bruce Campbell and Jason Issacs (who were also in the original film) have been recast in new, undisclosed roles.
Changes from original film
- The biggest change to the film is the removal of the spy subplot. Tim has called the spy subplot from the original version of Cars 2 "completely unfitting for a movie series that's supposed to stick to the racing". Because of this, the Paris and Germany races will be reinstated.
- More racers will be added to the movie, including racers that replaced Jeff Gorvette in the party scene for international releases. Almost all of the international racers are now voiced by
- Almost all toilet humor is removed.
- Mater will be a less annoying character.
- The environmental message will also be removed. Tim considered the message in the original version "completely out-of-place and forced for a Pixar movie".
- More characters will be added, including characters from Cars 3 such as Mike Joyride, Cal Weathers, and Bobby Swift.
- Less padding. This means that some scenes will be cut, with new ones integral to the plot being added.