Dora the Explorer (2021 TV series) (Johnsonverse)
Dora the Explorer is a 2021 American animated series. A reboot of the 2000-2019 series of the same name, it will premiere on Netflix on July 14, 2021. The series uses the character designs and art style of Dora and the Lost City of Gold (2019) and uses some of the same voice actors as the original, but has a different, somewhat darker tone compared to the original.
Production began in 2019 when Cartoon Network acquired the rights to the Dora the Explorer franchise.
The series follows twelve-year-old Dora Márquez going on adventures in the jungle with her monkey companion Boots, as well as Randy, Sammy, and her cousin, Diego. The original premise of the series taking place in a computer game was brought back, with some of the characters directly referencing it. The series no longer uses a fake interactivity aspect, and the very idea of it is mercilessly mocked in some episodes.
The series has a more mature tone than the original. For one, instead of going to a certain location while passing through two places, the series goes all-in on the adventure aspect, with Dora and friends delving into dangerous ruins, dodging traps, and dealing with genuinely-dangerous villains who are fully willing to kill them to get what they want.
- Dora Márquez (Kathleen Herles) is the protagonist. Dora has become more impatient and snarky, as she often cuts Map and Backpack's songs short, threatens to either tear up, shred or burn Map or donate Backpack to Goodwill, yells at the Fiesta Trio to go away, pushes the Grumpy Old Troll out of her way, screams at Tico the Squirrel to learn English, and has, on multiple occasions, stopped Swiper either by menacing him with a Bowie knife or outright beating him up now that saying "Swiper, no swiping!" no longer works; one episode even has her put him through a Scared Straight program. She also regrets ever associating with the Explorer Girls.
- Boots (Harrison Chad)
- Backpack (Sasha Toro)
- Map (Marc Weiner)
- Swiper (Marc Weiner)
- The Fiesta Trio (Marc Weiner)
- Randy (Atticus Shaffer)
- Sammy (Amanda Leighton)
- Diego Márquez (Nicolas Cantu)
- Kate (Isabela Moner)
- Naiya (Alexandria Suarez)
- Alana (Ashley Earnest)
- Emma (Kayta Thomas)
- Pablo (Eduardo Aristizábal)
- Abuelita Valerie (Karen June Sanchez)
- Cole Márquez (Fidel Vicioso)
- Elena Márquez (Socorro Santiago)
- Benny (Adam Brown)
- Grumpy Old Troll (Chris Gifford)
For more, see Dora the Explorer Theme Song (2021) (Johnsonverse).
The new version of the show's theme song is performed by Alanna Ubach, with Kathleen Herles, Harrison Chad, and Sasha Toro as backup singers, and uses a similar musical style to the theme from Seasons 7 and 8 of the original series, though with the melody from the first six seasons. The "Swiper, no swiping" lyric was removed, while the lyric "You can lead the way" was changed to "Adventure all the way", due to the removal of the fake interactivity.
Rumors have circulated that the series will cross over with Detective Jenny and involve Dora and friends encountering remnants of the Camino Cartel, which was destroyed in the twelfth Detective Jenny movie.