Ffestiniog Railway rolling stock (Johnsonverse)

From DifferentHistory Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg
Wikipedia-logo-v2.svg
IMPORTANT: This article uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia, as either refactored, modified, abridged, expanded, built on, or straight-from-text content.


The Ffestiniog Railway owns and operates a number of heritage and modern-day steam and diesel locomotives. A full list of these locomotives with details of their operational status is provided below.

Locomotives

The list includes past locomotives and present locomotives that are owned by, or permanently housed at, the Ffestiniog Railway:

Number Name Wheel

arrangement

Date

built

Date

scrapped

Builder Class Notes Available for service
1 Princess 0-4-0ST+T 1863 n/a George England and Co. Small England One of the first two delivered in July 1863 and the first to be steamed. It was also the last to be used before the line closed in 1946. Restored cosmetically for the 150th anniversary of steam on the railway in 2013. Visited Kings Cross Station in February 2016. Tim Johnson has expressed a desire to restore this locomotive to service. No
2 Prince 0-4-0ST+T 1863 n/a George England and Co. Small England The oldest operable Ffestiniog Railway steam locomotive. Returned to service in time for the 150th anniversary of steam on the railway in 2013. Yes
3 (1) Mountaineer 0-4-0ST+T 1863 1879 George England and Co. Small England The first locomotive delivered to the Ffestiniog railway. Delivered as a side tank locomotive and the only one of the George England locomotives never to carry a saddle tank. Dismantled in 1879 when it was considered to be worn out. Some parts were donated to the other George England locomotives. Scrapped
3 (3) Mountaineer 0-4-0ST+T 2021 n/a North Bay Railway Engineering Services Small England Replica currently under construction by an independent group. Locomotive being built as a side tank locomotive. No
4 Palmerston 0-4-0ST+T 1864 n/a George England and Co. Small England Restored to service in 1993 after many years out of use, including a period when used as a stationary boiler at Boston Lodge. Returned to service in 2015 following its annual ten-yearly overhaul. Yes
5 Welsh Pony 0-4-0ST+T 1867 n/a George England and Co. Large England Welsh Pony was the first of the Large England class, being delivered in July 1867. It ran until February 1940. It was restored to steam at Bayshore Shops near San Francisco, California in 2002. Yes
6 (1) Little Giant 0-4-0ST+T 1867 1929 George England and Co. Large England Condemned 1929. No
6 (2) Little Giant 0-4-0ST+T 2021 n/a Continental Rail Large England Replica currently under construction at Bayshore Shops near San Francisco, California. No
7 Little Wonder 0-4-4-0T 1869 1882 George England and Co. Double Fairlie Scrapped 1882. First Fairlie locomotive built for the Ffestiniog Railway. Scrapped
8 (1) James Spooner 0-4-4-0T 1872 1930 Avonside Engine Co. Double Fairlie Built by Avonside Engine Co. to G.P.Spooner's design, it was first recorded as running in December 1872. It was last rebuilt with a wagon-top boiler in 1908. Last steamed in 1928 and dismantled for boiler work, before being condemned in 1930. Scrapped
8 (2) James Spooner 0-4-4-0T 20## n/a Boston Lodge Double Fairlie On completion will become the most recent Double Fairlie locomotive in the world. Announcement of replacement locomotive carrying this name and number made by FRCo in March 2016. Locomotive to be in traffic in time to celebrate 150 years since the trial of the first double Fairlie. No
9 Taliesin 0-4-4T 1876/1999 1924 Vulcan Foundry/ Boston Lodge Single Fairlie Replica Single Fairlie locomotive built at Boston Lodge works in 1999. The original 1876-built locomotive was condemned in 1924. The replica used a few parts from the original (therefore making it a rebuild) but was largely built from scratch. Named after the 6th century Welsh poet Taliesin. Having been built for easy conversion between oil and coal firing, the locomotive has been coal-fired since 2007. In service and usually found on low season trains. Fitted with piston valves and boiler pressure increased to 200psi in 2011. Boiler ticket has now expired. Yes
10 Merddin Emrys 0-4-4-0T 1879 n/a Boston Lodge Double Fairlie The first Double Fairlie to be built at Boston Lodge Works. The oldest operating Double Fairlie on the railway. Named after the 6th century Welsh poet. The locomotive underwent a major rebuild in 1987/8. Returned to steam in 2005 and converted to coal firing during the winter of 2006/2007. Returned to service in 2016 following an annual ten-yearly overhaul. Yes
3 (2) Livingston Thompson 0-4-4-0T 1885 n/a Boston Lodge Double Fairlie Withdrawn 1971 and restored 1988 as a static display at the National Railway Museum in York. Named Taliesin from 1932 until 1961, when it was renamed Earl of Merioneth. In 1988 its original name was restored after the new Earl of Merioneth had been built. No
11 Earl of Merioneth 0-4-4-0T 1979 n/a Boston Lodge Double Fairlie The first Double Fairlie built by the restored Ffestiniog Railway, and the only one of its kind to deviate from the classic design with the cuboid side tanks. Yes
12 David Lloyd George 0-4-4-0T 1992 n/a Boston Lodge Double Fairlie The most recent Double Fairlie locomotive in the world and also the most powerful locomotive on the railway. Originally built to burn oil rather than coal. Returned to service in May 2014 following overhaul, fitting of new power bogies and conversion to coal firing. Yes
- Blanche 2-4-0ST+T 1893 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Penrhyn Mainline Hunslet Originally an 0-4-0ST running on the Penrhyn Quarry Railway, purchased by the Festiniog Railway in 1963. Rebuilt as 2-4-0ST+T in 1972. Received a new boiler in 2003. A ten-yearly overhaul was completed in December 2017. Yes
- Linda 2-4-0ST+T 1893 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Penrhyn Mainline Hunslet Originally an 0-4-0ST running on the Penrhyn Quarry Railway, hired by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1962, and purchased in December 1963. Named after Linda Blanche Douglas-Pennant. Returned to service in 2011 after a lengthy seven-year overhaul. Yes
- Charloes 2-4-0ST+T 1882 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Penrhyn Mainline Hunslet Originally an 0-4-0ST running on the Penrhyn Quarry Railway, purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway from Penrhyn Castle Railway Museum in 2015. Returned to service in 2016. Yes
- Mountaineer (2) 2-6-2T 1917 n/a ALCO N/A Built for the British Army's use in World War I; later ran on the Tramway de Pithiviers à Toury in France; purchased by a supporter of the Festiniog Railway in 1967. Typically used on the Blaenau Ffestiniog-Porthmadog section of the morning Snowdonian through service to Caernarfron. Yes
- Britomart 0-4-0ST 1899 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Quarry Hunslet Used as a shunting engine around Boston Lodge and Harbour station; occasionally ventures up the line for specials and footplate rides at Tan-y-bwlch and Blaenau stations during special events. A ten-yearly overhaul was completed in 2017. Yes
- Lilla 0-4-0ST 1891 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Large Hunslet Originally built for Cilgwyn Quarry and transferred to Penrhyn Quarry in 1921 Lilla is a unique loco. Saved for preservation by Bernard Latham. New boiler built at Boston Lodge and fitted in 2008. Supported by group of volunteers. Underwent an overhaul in 2019. Yes
- Hugh Napier 0-4-0ST 1904 n/a Hunslet Engine Co. Quarry Hunslet Owned by the National Trust. On long term loan to Ffestiniog Railway Company and supported by volunteer team. Ten-yearly overhaul completed in 2020. Yes
14 Lyd 2-6-2T 2010 n/a Boston Lodge Lynton and Barnstaple Manning Wardle Built at Boston Lodge works as a replica of the Manning Wardle locomotive Lew built for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway in 1925. Sister locomotives were scrapped in 1935 (Lew itself was shipped to Brazil and its subsequent fate remains a mystery). Lyd entered traffic in 2010 wearing unlined black livery before being turned out in lined BR black livery in 2011. In 2012 it was repainted into a Southern Railway livery. Undergoing its first ten-yearly overhaul. No
- Dahuichang 4 0-8-0 1988 n/a Harbin Locomotive Works N/A Privately purchased in 2006, now in purpose built workshop and actively being restored at Boston Lodge. One of the world's last commercially built narrow gauge steam locomotive for industrial use. Re-gauged from 30" to 1 ft 11.5 ". This is not yet classified as an FR loco. No

Diesel locomotives

Name Type Built Builder Notes
Mary Ann 4wDM 1917 Motor Rail The first locomotive to work the revived Ffestiniog Railway in 1954. Built for British Army use in WWI and bought by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1923. Returned to operation in 2004 following a rebuild. In 2016 it received a cab roof so as to represent its World War I appearance.
Moelwyn 2-4-0DM 1918 Baldwin Locomotive Works Another ex-WWI locomotive, purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1925. Originally an 0-4-0 but was extensively modified in the 1950s and 1960s with a new diesel engine, frame extensions and carrier wheels in order to improve its running. Received heavy overhauls in 1998 and 2009 and is mainly used as a yard shunter at Boston Lodge. Painted into World War I grey for the first time in preservation in 2016.
Alistair 4wDM 1940 Ruston and Hornsby An 11/13 hp model, works number. Purchased from the Smallford Depot of Bierrum & Partners Ltd. on 27 February 1968, after an appeal by Dan Wilson in Country Life magazine. It was used on the construction of the Deviation and to transport the Tan y Bwlch Station Master John Harrison. It was sold to the Gartell Light Railway in 1991. In 2016, it was operating at Bursledon Brickworks Museum.
Upnor Castle 4wDM 1954 F.C. Hibberd Built for the Chattenden and Upnor Railway to 2 ft 6 in (0.76 m) gauge, bought from the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway in 1968. Now in use on the Welsh Highland Railway as Dinas shunter.
Moel Hebog 4wDM 1955 Hunslet Engine Co. Originally built for the National Coal Board as a flameproof mines locomotive. Purchased in 1969 and mainly used for permanent way maintenance trains.
Conway Castle/Castell Conwy 4wDM 1958 F.C. Hibberd Built for the Admiralty's line at Ernesettle, purchased in 1981. Used on push-pull services. Bilingually named.
Ashover 4wDM 1948 F.C. Hibberd Built for the Ashover Light Railway and purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1981.
The Lady Diana 4wDM 1957 Motor Rail Purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1974.
The Colonel 4wDM 1943 Motor Rail Built for the St. Albans Sand and Gravel Company, purchased by Colonel Campbell of Dduallt Manor for his private use on the Ffestiniog Railway. Purchased by the railway in 1982.
Criccieth Castle/Castell Criccieth 0-6-0DM 1995 Boston Lodge Built by the railway from parts supplied by Baguley-Drewry. Used on passenger services. Equipped for push-pull operations. Bilingually named.
Harlech Castle/Castell Harlech 0-6-0DM 1983 Baguley-Drewry Built for service in Mozambique, but purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1988 after the order was cancelled. Used as an engineering locomotive and primarily stationed at Minffordd. Bilingually named.
Harold Busta 1979 Hunslet Engine Co. Built for the railway at North Bierley sewage farm and bought by the Ffestiniog in the early 1990s.
Vale of Ffestiniog B-B 1967 CH Funkey & Co (Pty) Ltd Built for the Eastern Province Cement Company in Port Elizabeth, South Africa, purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 1996 and extensively rebuilt; new body resembles a BR Class 58. Used for passenger services. The twin of 'Castell Caernarfon' on the Welsh Highland Railway
Moel-Y-Gest 4wDM 1965 Hunslet Engine Co. Built for the Royal Naval Armaments Depot at Dean Hill in Wiltshire. Purchased by the Ffestiniog Railway in 2004 and in use as a shunter at Boston Lodge.
Busta 4wDM Fairbanks Morse A platelayers trolley originally used by U.S. Army. Used on WHR as a platelayers trolley in the 1920s and 1930s.
Monster 4wDM Boston Lodge A diminutive diesel built for the Ffestiniog Railway and restored in 2010.

Other rolling stock

For more detailed information on current and past rolling stock, visit the Railways own Heritage Group Wikipedia

These are the existing vehicles that are owned by or are permanently housed on the Ffestiniog Railway:-

Heritage four-wheel passenger coaches and vans

Present

Number

Date

Built

Builder Compartments

(from Blaenau end)

Number

of seats

Notes Livery
1 1996 Boston Lodge semi-open knifeboard bench 14 (3rd) replica incorporating some original parts, nicknamed "zoo car" Colonel Stephens
2 1863/4 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

single compartment knifeboard seats 10 (1st) restored 1958, rebuilt 1992 Victorian
3 1863/4 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

single compartment knifeboard seats 14 (3rd) restored 1960, rebuilt 1996 Colonel Stephens
4 1863/4 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

single compartment knifeboard seats 14 (3rd) restored 1958, rebuilt 2000 Colonel Stephens
5 1863/4 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

single compartment knifeboard seats 14 (3rd) restored 1958, rebuilt by Mr R.G. Jarvis 1983 Victorian
8 1885/6 Boston Lodge Quarrymen's carriage single compartment 10 (3rd) restored 1961, overhaul 1988, fully rebuilt 1991/2 Colonel Stephens
10 2007 Boston Lodge Two-compartment 4-wheel 3rd 12 (3rd) Replica of 1868 Ashbury 4-wheeler. The original was built as a First Class vehicle, but was downgraded to Third Class later in life. The replica has been constructed in this form, incorporating some parts from original Ashbury 4-wheelers. Victorian
(11) 1863/4 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

totally open knifeboard bench 14 (3rd) Rebuilt FR Society Midland Group to original condition - currently under overhaul to Victorian condition including replica leather aprons and awning. The current FR rulebook lists this carriage as number 11 but the carriage does not carry this number. It is most commonly referred to as 'the flying bench'. Victorian
12 2012 Boston Lodge semi-open knifeboard bench 14 (3rd) Replica incorporating some original parts. Colonel Stephens
Van 6 1885/6 Boston Lodge Single compartment brake 3rd 6 (3rd) Converted from third type quarrymen's coach (same as No. 8) circa 1930, single end balcony, fully rebuilt 1988. Red-oxide
Van 7 1898 Boston Lodge Single compartment brake 3rd 6 (3rd) Built as a replica of the No. 1 brake van converted from third type quarrymen's coach (same as No. 8) circa 1930, two end balconies. Green
Van 51 (Previously No. 1 Van) 1964 Ffestiniog Railway Society Midland Area Group Single compartment brake without balconies 8 (3rd) Built to replace the original No. 1 van (No. 7 above), this important vehicle is understood to be the first vehicle ever constructed "entirely by volunteers" for service on any 'preserved' railway. Like the 'original' it uses parts including wheels and bearings recycled from a third type quarrymen's coach. This vehicle was refurbished in 1987 and allocated to the FR Civil Engineering Department. Green
Van 59 1923 GWR Swindon Works Covered Van - Built Swindon (Lot No. 914) and entered service as GWR No. 38089 on the Vale of Rheidol Railway as a steel underframed, metal strapped wooden bodied cattle wagon. Converted 1937 to 2 ft 6 in (0.76 m) gauge for service on the Welshpool and Llanfair Light Railway rebuilt and returned to the original gauge (but a lower loading gauge) in 1968 by the Ffestiniog Railway Society East Anglian Group for FR service as a covered van. Modified doors fitted 1983. Sold to Vale of Rheidol in 2014. GWR Chocolate
n/a 2005 Boston Lodge Spooner's Boat - A replica of one of the more unusual passenger vehicles to travel on the Ffestiniog Railway. The boat is a four-person, sail-powered vehicle which was built before 1864 as an inspection vehicle for the Spooner family. It travelled downhill by gravity and could be sailed across the Cob. The original was wrecked in 1886 when it crashed into a train. The modern replica is used on special occasions only.

Heritage bogie passenger coaches and vans

Present

Number

Date

built

Builder Compartments

(from Blaenau end)

Number

of

Seats

Notes Livery
Van 1 2004 Boston Lodge Guard / Luggage / Dog 0 A replica 1873 Brown Marshall & Co. bogie van, familiarly known as the curly roofed van. The original van 1 was scrapped in 1921. Victorian
Van 2 1873 Boston Lodge 3/3/G (guard) 12 Built as No. 2 brake/luggage van, rebuilt 1920/21, fully restored to 1920/21 condition in 1991. Renumbered from Carriage 10 in 2005. Colonel Stephens
Van 3 1873 Boston Lodge Guard / Luggage / Dog 0 Survived until the beginning of post-restoration in 1955, now scrapped. The 2004 replica of Van 1 was based on this vehicle. Scrapped
Van 4 1880 Gloucester Railway

Carriage and Wagon

Company

G/1/1 observation 15 Built as No.4 luggage van, rebuilt 1928/29 as passenger/brake, rebuilt 1957/8 as observation car, steel underframe 1962. Renumbered from Carriage 11 in 2005. Green and Ivory
Van 5 1880 Gloucester Railway

Carriage and Wagon

Company

3/saloon/guard 25 Built as No.5 luggage van, rebuilt 1929/30 as passenger/brake, restored 1955, buffet counter and side corridor added 1957, buffet car and saloon reordered 1960, lengthened with steel underframe 1963, major repairs and new seat layout without buffet counter 1982. Renumbered from Carriage 12 in 2005. Cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation. Green and Ivory
14 1896 Bristol Wagon & Carriage Works,

Bristol

3 saloon/buffet 26 Built for the Lynton and Barnstaple Railway Co. as Brake 3rd No: 15 and restored, 1963 and 1998. Served as basis for modern rolling stock. Cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation. Maroon and Cream
15 1872 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

3/3/3/1/3/3/3 48+6 Designed by George Percival Spooner entered service January 1873, with No. 16, the first bogie coaches, of any gauge, to operate in Britain. Built with iron underframes and iron framing for the coachwork. Restored 1960, rebuilt 2001 with Heritage Lottery Fund backing. Victorian
16 1872 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

3/3/3/1/1c/3/3 40+9 Same design, with No. 15, the first bogie coaches to operate in Britain. Restored (with a 1st coupe in place of the second class compartment) in 1969 largely by Mr R.G. Jarvis, rebuilt 2001 with Heritage Lottery Fund backing. Colonel Stephens
17 1876 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

3/3/1/3/3/3 40+6 Designed by George Percival Spooner. Iron frames but conventional coach-built bodywork with bowed sides. Restored 1956 and 1990. Nos. 17 to 20 commonly known as 'bowsiders'. Victorian
18 1876 Brown,

Marshalls and

Co. Ltd.

3/3/1/3/3/3 40+6 As No. 17 but restored 1957 and 2003. Victorian
19 1879 Gloucester Railway

Carriage and Wagon

Company

3/3/1/1/3/3 32+12 Designed by George Percival Spooner. Wrought-iron underframes but conventional coach-built bodywork with bowed sides. Originally 1st 2nd and 3rd class. Restored 1963, 1982 and 2008. Victorian
20 1879 Gloucester Railway

Carriage and Wagon

Company

3/3/1/1/3/3 32+12 As No. 19 but restored 1957 and 1987. Colonel Stephens
21 2019 Boston Lodge 3/3/3/3/3/3/3 56 Replica Ashbury "Tourist" coach. Green and Ivory
22 1896 Ashbury Carriage and Wagon Co Manchester 3/3/3/3/3/3/3 56 A low-cost vehicle built for tourist traffic. fitted with wooden underframe. Restored 1958, fitted with steel underframe 1967. Rebuilt with new body 1984. Bears little or no resemblance to its original form. Maroon and Cream
23 1894 Ashbury Carriage and Wagon Co Manchester 3/3/3/3/3/3/3 56 Built for the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways became Welsh Highland Railway stock in 1923 and FR stock (in exchange for three bogie wagons) in 1936. Returned to service in 1955 and full doors fitted in 1966. Currently running on the WHR. Colonel Stephens
24 2002 Boston Lodge 42 A replica of carriage 23 in its original 1894 North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways NWNGR Maroon
26 1894 Ashbury Carriage and Wagon Co Manchester 3/3/3/3/3/3/3 56 Built for the North Wales Narrow Gauge Railways became Welsh Highland Railway stock in 1923 and sold to a farmer for use as a hen-house. Body bought 1959. Restored to service in 1959 and full doors fitted in 1965. Rebuilt with new body 1986. Bears little or no resemblance to its original form. Maroon and Cream
37 1971 Boston Lodge 3/3/3/3/ 32 Semi-open tourist coach (with half-doors originally used on coaches 23 and 26) it was built on a Hudson bogie wagon underframe. Cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation. Maroon and Cream
38 1971 Boston Lodge 3/3/3/3/ 32 Semi-open tourist coach (with half-doors originally used on coaches 23 and 26) it was built on a Hudson bogie wagon underframe, which had seen similar use in the 1920s. Cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation. Green and Ivory
39 1992 Winson Engineering 3/3/3/3/ 24 Replica of one of a batch of six semi-open 'toastrack' tourist coaches (without doors) that were built by the Hudson Wagon Co. in the 1920s for the FR and WHR. This replica was built on a Hudson bogie wagon underframe. Cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation. Colonel Stephens

Modern bogie passenger carriages and vans

Unless noted, all modern stock is painted in maroon and cream livery, and all were built at Boston Lodge. All modern stock is cabled and plumbed for push-pull operation with Criccieth Castle, Conway Castle, and Vale of Ffestiniog.

Present

Number

Date

built

Builder Compartments

(from Blaenau end)

Number

of

Seats

Notes Livery
100 2007 Boston Lodge 1 saloon /1 obs 20 The new "100" which replaced the 1964-build 'Centenary Stock' vehicle of this number in 2007. First class Observation Car similar to the design of 102, without guards compartment. Fitted with moveable seats and tables in the observation end which can be removed to allow wheelchairs to be accommodated. Paired with Service Carriage 124. Maroon and Cream
102 2005 G / 1 saloon /1 obs 16 First class Observation Car similar to the original 'Centenary Stock' 100 and 101. Brought into service in August 2005 for the 50th anniversary of the start of restoration of passenger trains. Fitted with moveable seats and tables in the observation end which can be removed to allow wheelchairs to be accommodated. Provided with heating for out of season services.
103 2010 3rd saloon 35 First 'Super Saloon', luxury Third Saloon with recessed vestibules and fold away seat for wheelchair accommodation. Replaced centenary stock Buffet car which carried the same number.
104 1964 3 saloon /1/3 saloon 32 + 4 Prototype for the 'Centenary Stock'. Body rebuilt 1985 with side corridor compartment.
105 1966 3 saloon / 1 / 3 saloon / Toilet 22 + 4 'Centenary Stock'. Toilet fitted at bottom end of carriage.
Minor

rebuild

1998

3 saloon / 1 /3 saloon 32 + 4 'Centenary Stock'. Toilet at bottom end of carriage removed in 1988.
Major rebuild 2005 3 saloon / Toilet /3 saloon 32 'Centenary Stock'. Rebuilt with a toilet replacing the first class compartment and wheelchair space with tip-up seats.
106 1968 3 saloon /1/3 saloon 32 + 4 Rebodied 2002 - 'Centenary Stock'.
107 2004 3 saloon /1/3 saloon 32 + 4 New build to the 'Centenary Stock' design.
108 2013 3rd saloon 35 'Super Saloon', luxury Third Saloon.
110 1975 3 saloon 42 Given the No. 30 when new and fitted with auto control (now removed) and driving compartment first used on the Dduallt-Gelliwiog shuttle service on 26 May 1975. This is the first all-steel coach to be built at Boston Lodge, with a semi-stressed skin and centre spine underframe. Provided with diesel heating for out of season services. Nominated as historic carriage to be retained in original form representing steel bodied stock from 1970s and 1980s.
111 1990 G/lavatory/1 saloon/driving compartment 11 Driving trailer for diesel push/pull off peak service. Steel body mounted on ex Isle of Man Railway underframe R5 and pattern 88 bogies. Provided with diesel-fired heating for out of season services
112 1991 Carnforth Railway restoration and Boston Lodge 3 saloon/1/1 17 + 8 Diesel-fired heating for out of season service. Aluminium body mounted on steel underframe and pattern 88 bogies.
113 1991 3 saloon/1/1 17 + 8 Aluminium body mounted on steel underframe and pattern 88 bogies. Transferred to Welsh Highland Railway 2003 - 2009. Diesel-fired heating
114 1991 3 saloon/Buffet 19 Diesel-fired heating for out of season service. Aluminium body mounted on steel underframe and pattern 88 bogies.
116 1972 Edmund Crow and Boston Lodge 'Enhanced' 3 saloon 36 Prototype aluminium body mounted on running gear at Boston Lodge. Rebuilt 1982 and again in 2008 when the first class compartment was removed and the carriage was fitted with diesel-fired heating. Window spacing was changed at this time permit improved seat spacing.
117 1977 Boston Lodge 3 saloon 32 Diesel-fired heating for out of season service. Steel body mounted on ex Isle of Man Railway underframe R8 and pattern 88 bogies. Vehicle reframed and rebodied to Super Saloon standards spring 2016. Old body and frame sold to Apedale.
118 1977 3 saloon 39 Steel body mounted on ex Isle of Man Railway underframe R6 and pattern 88 bogies. Vehicle reframed and rebodied to Super Saloon standards spring 2017. Old body and frame sold to Golden Valley Railway Butterley.
119 1980 3 saloon/lavatory 32 Steel body mounted on ex Isle of Man Railway underframe R10 and pattern 88 bogies. Reframed and rebodied to Super Saloon standards 2014/5. Old body sold to Golden Valley Railway Butterley.
120 1980 3 saloon 36 Steel body mounted on ex Isle of Man Railway underframe R11 and pattern 88 bogies. Scehduled for reframing and rebodying to Super Saloon standards.
121 2012 3 saloon 35 Second wooden bodied 'Super Saloon' carriage with diesel heating and collapsible seat for wheelchair use. Replaced steel-bodied carriage of the same number whose underframe was used for 124.
122 2002 3 saloon 36 A prototype design using monocoque construction which remained a 'one off'. Diesel-fueled heating for out of season service.
123 1970 3 saloon 30 Built as the railway's second Observation Car, 101 saw service on the FR until 2006 when it was transferred to the Welsh Highland Railway. Downgraded to 3rd Class in 2008, 101 became surplus to requirements in 2009; in 2011, this carriage was transferred back to the FR, turned end for end, overhauled, modified, renumbered and given a new lease of life as Carriage 123, leaving the number 101 available for a new-build carriage. This carriage is a 'wrong way round' observation 3rd saloon, with the former Guard's compartment doors providing a perfect boarding point for wheelchairs.
124 2007 Service Vehicle (Guard / Toilet / Buffet) 0 Isle of Man underframe R7 from carriage 121 reused, with a 'Barn' style wooden body. The first of the new service vehicles. Provided with a generator for on-board catering equipment and heating.
125 2016 Service Vehicle (Guard / Toilet / Buffet) 0 High spec service vehicle specifically designed to run paired with Observation Car No.150 as part of 'New Train' launched in spring 2016. Full Saloon Body size, fitted with high capacity generator.
150 2015 Luxury Art Deco inspired Observation Car 24 New generation Pullman Observation carriage for the 'New Train', designed to complement the Super Saloons. Art Deco inspired hand crafted hard wood interior featuring Birds Eye Maple roof panels. Paired with Service Car No.125. Diesel-fueled heating for out of season service. Named "Gwynedd" in April 2019. Pullman
152 2018 Luxury Art Deco inspired Observation Car 22 New generation Pullman Observation carriage, designed to complement the Super Saloons. Art Deco inspired hand crafted hard wood interior featuring Birds Eye Maple roof panels. Diesel-fueled heating for out of season service. Very similar to 150, but with a few minor differences.
1111 1997 Bloomfield Steel Construction Co, Tipton and FR Boston Lodge Works Saloon/kitchen/lavatory - Body shell fitted out at Boston Lodge as a service and mess car for the Permanent Way department staff and volunteers. The vehicle is 40 ft (12 m). long and the FR's longest, but quite narrow to enable staff to walk alongside on embankments and elsewhere within the confines of the FR’s very limited clearances. Not fitted with Norwegian "Chopper" couplings. Although it is fitted with vacuum brakes, they are not used as FR works trains do not use continuous brakes and 1111 often functions as a brake van. Works Department