My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Time to Travel (Johnsonverse)
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls - Time to Travel is a 2020 action-adventure game based on the 2010 relaunch of the My Little Pony franchise by Hasbro and the Equestria Girls spin-off franchise, developed by Hasbro Interactive and published by Johnson Games. Set during the television series' fifth season, the game follows a customizable character who, fresh off their latest adventure, is sent to the human world by Princess Twilight Sparkle and, with her friends' human counterparts and Sunset Shimmer, must travel through time to preserve the timeline from being destroyed by Sunset's evil counterpart.
Development for the game began in 2018, just prior to the release of that year's My Little Pony: The Game. Like its predecessor, the game features a combination of animated cutscenes and Johnson's Equine Engine. The game was released on November 1, 2020, and received critical acclaim.
In addition to the existing customization options from the previous game, players can also customize their character's human form. They can learn new powers from other characters, buy new clothes, and explore Canterlot.
Combat in-game is in real-time, and plays similar to Dragon Ball Xenoverse. Players can use melee attacks, ranged magic attacks, and can pick up objects in the environment to use as weapons. Much of the environment is also destructible, and the course of combat can change, such as making the area larger by destroying walls, or smaller by destroying bridges.
Princess Twilight Sparkle and her friends receive news from Spike that there's some irregularities in the human world. She sends the protagonist and Spike over to the human world through the Crystal Mirror. They meet Sci-Twi, Spike's human counterpart, Sunset Shimmer and the others, who go to Sci-Twi's house to look at her time machine. They decide to go forward in time by a minute, and are relieved when the test succeeds. Just then, a loud flash is heard, which turns out to be Sunset's evil counterpart, who comes from a timeline where Princess Twilight was never born and as a result, never redeemed her. She rips the head off of Pinkie Pie's beloved doll Gummy, causing her to wail hysterically, and hijacks Sci-Twi's time machine, knocking the Rainbooms out through a flash. When they wake up, they see Snips and Snails, who are still Evil Sunset's henchmen and are much nastier, and are attacked.
After the Rainbooms defeat Snips and Snails, they decide to go to Canterlot High, where they're attacked by Trixie. After she's defeated, Trixie reveals that Sunset bullied her into siding with her, and the Rainbooms, worried, searches for Evil Sunset. They find her beating up the human Derpy next to her locker and stealing her money. Derpy questions why there are two Sunsets, but the good Sunset tells her that she's from an alternate universe where she was redeemed by Princess Twilight. After some thinking, Derpy decides to help the Rainbooms, and they decide to go to Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna's office. When they get there, the principals are surprised to see the girls, as they hadn't been friendly for a while, as well as another Sunset wearing different clothes. The protagonist explains that they're from an alternate universe, and the girls show their geode necklaces as evidence, with Sci-Twi using hers to lift a pencil. Celestia and Luna realize they're right, and suddenly an alternate Rainbow Dash walks in, blaming Pinkie for supposedly calling her fat. She then sees the main Rainbow Dash, and the two argue for a bit until Sunset and the protagonist interrupt. The principals get a call from the school board, who is considering firing them for negligence.
Once the Rainbooms exits, however, they see Evil Sunset once again. She tells them that she plans on humiliating them in front of the entire school, and then return to Equestria with the chaos magic from such an event to kill Princess Twilight, take over Equestria, and use the pony world Starlight Glimmer's time travel magic to reboot the entire multiverse so that she'll be worshipped as a goddess everywhere she goes. The main Sunset tells her that she will make sure that never happens, before Evil Sunset flashes away, laughing. Sci-Twi notes that Evil Sunset is conjuring up unheard-of magic to teleport, and decides to track Evil Sunset down, calling on the protagonist, Starlight, and Spike to help. After the four look through the school, they find the alternate versions of the girls, who are arguing and fighting. Sci-Twi tries to break it up, but fails. Fluttershy's alternate counterpart explains that, ever since Sunset took over, she's rigged the whole system, and even has several teachers completely under her thumb, including Mr. Discord. Starlight asks why the girls are fighting, but is punched in the face by the alternate Rainbow Dash, who angrily tells her about the worsening cyberbullying problem throughout the school. Pinkie's alternate counterpart also explains that this problem is even extending to their personal lives, with Maud even disowning her. Rarity's alternate self, after punching Spike, reveals that her generosity has significantly decreased since Sunset's arrival, and proceeds to punch Sci-Twi. The protagonist tries to reason with them, but is punched by the alternate Dash. Angered, the protagonist decides to challenge them, believing they have no other choice, but not before helping Sci-Twi, Starlight, and Spike back up.
Their battle, however, is interrupted by Mr. Discord, who was tipped off by Evil Sunset. He sends the four to detention, where the conditions are "gulag-like", according to Dash. When Mr. Discord goes to the restroom, the protagonist decides to bust out, and Sci-Twi plans out their escape. The others, however, hear all of this, and decide to break in. Fluttershy calls the animals to get into Canterlot High and kick the door open, while Derpy uses a crowbar she found to help them along, and the Rainbooms reunite with the protagonist, Sci-Twi, Starlight, and Spike. Pinkie is excited once again, revealing that Rarity fixed her Gummy doll by hand-sewing it back together. They are confronted by Mr. Discord, brandishing a chainsaw, who is knocked unconscious by Rainbow Dash. When they leave, they notice that Lyra and Bon-Bon's alternate counterparts are guarding the school. Rarity decides to escape via the roof. After some deliberation, they decide to go through with it. Sci-Twi notices Evil Sunset's footsteps, and decide to follow her to the roof. When they enter the rooftop, they see Evil Sunset, who openly tries to kill the Rainbooms with her backup, alternate versions of Gilda, Bulk Biceps, Big Mac, and Dr. Hooves. After they are defeated, the Rainbooms are nearly defeated by Evil Sunset, before the human Sunset decides to defeat her evil pony counterpart herself. After a long battle, Evil Sunset is defeated, and the Rainbooms go back to the present. They see Canterlot High back to normal, and go back to the pony world. Twilight and the other princesses, Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, congratulate them, and give them medals in a large ceremony. Just then, Evil Sunset returns, and holds Equestria hostage. Princess Twilight, weakened, tells the protagonist, Sunset, and the Rainbooms to return to the human world to defeat Evil Sunset once and for all.
They go back to the events of the first Equestria Girls film, and notice Evil Sunset about to terrorize the normal Sunset into becoming evil. The normal Sunset is saved, but Evil Sunset disappears. They go to the events of Friendship Games, in which Evil Sunset attempts to sabotage the Games by planting several bombs around Crystal Prep. However, Sci-Twi and the protagonist disarm them, and Evil Sunset hops to another time. It turns out to be the events of Forgotten Friendship, in which they save the normal Sunset and Wallflower Blush from being killed by Evil Sunset, but the human Sunset is mortally wounded. They end up in the pony world as ponies, at a time when the pony Sunset was Princess Celestia's student. After an argument, the pony Sunset runs away, but Evil Sunset poses as her and kills Celestia. After a flash knocks the Rainbooms out, they end up in a badly twisted version of the present, in which Evil Sunset has taken over Equestria, and has forced the Mane Six, as well as the princesses, to follow her every last command. Just then, they see Evil Sunset, now more unhinged than ever, who is willing to kill them for attempting to sabotage their plans. After the protagonist defeats her, Evil Sunset swears revenge as she disappears. The Rainbooms also notice that the world around them is changing back to normal, and the princesses give them medals in a second ceremony, before the Rainbooms return to the human world.
In a post-credits scene, the protagonist gets an unexpected phone call from Midnight Sparkle, who swears that she will finish the Rainbooms forever.
- The Protagonist (Filly Voice 1: Tabitha St. Germain; Filly Voice 2: Kelly Sheridan; Filly Voice 3: Andrea Libman; Colt Voice 1: Terry Klassen; Colt Voice 2: Lee Tockar; Colt Voice 3: Alvin Sanders) is the playable character. They
- Princess Twilight Sparkle (Tara Strong, speaking voice; Rebecca Shoichet, singing voice) is an alicorn who is the Princess of Equestria. The Element of Friendship,
- Sunset Shimmer (Rebecca Shoichet) is the
- Evil Sunset Shimmer (Rebecca Shoichet) is Sunset's evil self from the first Equestria Girls film.
- Twilight Sparkle (Sci-Twi) (Tara Strong, speaking voice; Rebecca Shoichet, singing voice)
- Rainbow Dash (Ashleigh Ball) is the Element of Loyalty.
- Pinkie Pie (Andrea Libman, speaking voice; Shannon Chan-Kent, singing voice) is the Element of Laughter.
- Applejack (Ashleigh Ball) is the Element of Honesty.
- Fluttershy (Andrea Libman) is the Element of Kindness.
- Rarity (Tabitha St. Germain, speaking voice; Kazumi Evans, singing voice) is the Element of Generosity.
- Spike (Cathy Weseluck) is Princess Twilight's assistant. In the human world, he is Sci-Twi's adopted little brother.
- Starlight Glimmer (Kelly Sheridan)
- Derpy Hooves (Tabitha St. Germain, speaking voice; Shannon Chan-Kent, singing voice) is
- Discord (John de Lancie) is a draconequus who is the Lord of Chaos. His human counterpart is a teacher at Canterlot High.
- Apple Bloom (Michelle Creber) is Applejack's sister.
- Sweetie Belle (Claire Corlett) is Rarity's sister.
- Discord (John de Lancie)
- Scootaloo (Madeleine Peters) is Rainbow Dash's #1 fan and personal sister.
- Trixie (Kathleen Barr)
- Celestia (Nicole Oliver)
- Luna (Tabitha St. Germain, speaking voice; Kazumi Evans, singing voice)
- Cadence (Britt McKillip)
- Shining Armor (Andrew Francis)
- Flurry Heart (Andrea Libman)
- Wallflower Blush (Shannon Chan-Kent) is
- Cheerilee (Nicole Oliver) is
- The Doctor (David Tennant) is a Time Lord from Gallifrey. According to Russell T. Davies, this game is canon to Doctor Who, and takes place between "The Runaway Bride" and "Smith and Jones".
- Octavia Melody (Kazumi Evans) is
- Vinyl Scratch (Jesse Nowack) is
- Lyra Heartstrings (Ashleigh Ball) is the owner of a bakery.
- Sweetie Drops a.k.a. "Bon Bon" (Chantal Strand)
- Berry Punch (Lauren Emily Jackson) is a
- Cherry Berry (Cathy Weseluck) is a
- Minuette (Rebecca Husain)
- Adagio Dazzle (Kazumi Evans)
- Aria Blaze (Diana Kaarina, speaking voice; Shylo Sharity, singing voice)
- Sonata Dusk (Marÿke Hendrikse, speaking voice; Shannon Chan-Kent, singing voice)
- Sour Sweet (Sharon Alexander)
- Sunny Flare (Britt Irvin)
- Sugarcoat (Sienna Bohn)
- Lemon Zest (Shannon Chan-Kent)
- Indigo Zap (Kelly Sheridan)
- Bulk Biceps (Michael Dobson)
- Big McIntosh a.k.a. Big Mac (Peter New)
- Sugar Belle (Rebecca Shoichet)
- Maud Pie (Ingrid Nilson)
- Flash Sentry (Vincent Tong)
- Timber Spruce (Brian Doe)
- Snips (Lee Tockar)
- Snails (Richard Ian Cox)
- Steven Magnet (Lee Tockar)
- Gilda (Marÿke Hendrikse) is a griffin. Her human counterpart is one of the evil Sunset's allies.
Graphics and animated sequences
The graphics, as with the previous game, are designed to resemble the artstyle of the series.