San Jose Theatre (Johnsonverse)
The San Jose Theatre is a landmark theater located on Harry Road in San Jose, California. Built in 1918, the theater is owned by Johnson Theatres as its flagship theater, and holds world premieres for many Johnson Studios productions. Built as a movie palace, it was expanded and renovated into an Art Deco style in 1922.
The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on March 3, 1976. Its distinctive circular marquee and neon sign have been seen frequently in film, television, and other media.
In 1916, after a deal to acquire an empty plot of land closed, Johnson Industries decided to build a large movie theater with more screens than other theaters of the time.
The exterior features the original marquee, which was restored in 1980 and 2016. The lobby still features the original terrazzo floors and murals.